Law & Policy
- Implement a grievance process for students experiencing homelessness that complies with federal law.
- Allow unaccompanied youth under 18 to apply for health insurance coverage on their own.
- Create a public-facing state plan to prevent and end youth homelessness, including strategies to address homelessness among LGBTQ youth.
- Enact a state law or regulation which allows minors to obtain state-issued identification cards without parental consent.
- Create an Interagency Council on Homelessness that mirrors the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness (USICH), providing a multi-sector approach to preventing and ending youth homelessness.
- Require training about sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, healthy sexual development, or issues specific to LGBTQ youth for staff working in runaway and homeless youth systems.
- Promote safe and inclusive environments in child welfare and runaway and homeless youth programs by providing protections based on sexual orientation and gender identity.