Law & Policy
- Implement a grievance process for students experiencing homelessness that complies with federal law and ensure that students can earn partial and alternative school credit.
- Enact law or regulation which explicitly allows youth under 18 to apply for health insurance coverage without parental consent.
- As part of the state plan to prevent and end youth homelessness, include a strategy to address homelessness among LGBTQ youth.
- Enact law or regulation which removes barriers to obtaining state-issued identification cards due to proof of residency requirements.
- Organize and maintain a self-governing youth action board or council to inform youth homelessness policy within the state.
- Require training about sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, healthy sexual development, or issues specific to LGBTQ youth for staff working in runaway and homeless youth systems.
- Promote safe and inclusive environments in runaway and homeless youth programs by providing protections based on sexual orientation and gender identity.