Senior Program Officer, Youth Action
True Colors United is seeking a Senior Program Officer who is eager to join a collaborative team at a fast-growing organization committed to social justice and equity. This is an exciting opportunity to gain extensive program experience within a national non-profit organization and make a real difference in the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth experiencing homelessness across the country.
The Senior Program Officer will work to advance the efforts of a core True Colors United program area, Youth Action. The organization works at the national, state, and local levels to ensure that youth with lived experiences of homelessness, in particular LGBTQ youth, are key leaders in developing and implementing the solutions needed to end the problem.
One key way that True Colors United is working to achieve these goals is through the Youth Action Society (YAS). YAS is a national association of youth action boards. This person will also support the work of the National Youth Forum on Homelessness, a group composed exclusively of young people across the country contributing to the growing national dialogue on making youth homelessness “rare, brief, and one-time.”
The position calls for an innovative, driven, fun personality that is passionate about working with young people and has a strong interest in using advocacy and public policy to create meaningful change within marginalized communities.
- Support the facilitation of the Youth Action Society, making a brave space for youth and young adults with lived experience to not only gain knowledge and expertise, but also participate in a network that enables colleagues with shared lived experience to have an equitable stake in creating solutions.
- Work with NYFH to plan monthly YAS calls.
- Mentor young people with experiences of homelessness and/or housing instability to lead the national movement to end homelessness.
- Provide on-the-ground and/or remote support to NYFH members as they develop and implement project plans.
- Work with NYFH leadership to expand young people’s knowledge base on various topics related to youth homelessness, including government structures, homelessness systems, policy and civic engagement, and racial equity.
- Supervise 2021 Youth Action Summit planning
- Coordinate Youth Action Summit attendee communication, safety planning, and travel booking
- Facilitate a collaborative process between NYFH and True Colors United staff to co-create original content for YAB members around the country that bolsters their knowledge on the aforementioned topics. The courses and toolkits created will serve as an entry point for future young leaders to engage in this work, ultimately creating a sustainable career path for themselves.
- Work with senior staff to prepare presentations and other educational materials.
- Attend conferences and on-site convenings as necessary.
- Track relevant activities and prepare reports as needed.
- Delivers trainings at meetings, retreats, conferences, and events.
- Supervise NYFH database and ensure data integrity.
- Performs other job duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated commitment to LGBTQ youth, civil rights, racial equity, and ending youth homelessness.
- Experience working with young people who have experienced homelessness.
- Experience training young people to work with local or national partners on policies and practice efforts.
- Knowledge and/or noted interest in public policy, congressional legislative, and federal regulatory processes.
- Experience working with local or national partners on policies and practice efforts to end youth homelessness.
- Detail-oriented and adept at multitasking and planning.
- Willing to travel several times per year and work remotely when necessary.
- Willing to adapt, take risks, and embrace failure.
- Comfortable working with various web-based systems. Google Drive and Salesforce experience a plus.
- Excellent verbal communication skills with ability to present ideas and information clearly.
- Diligent work ethic and insatiable desire to expand skills.
- Extreme attention to detail and outstanding organization skills.
- A collaborative team player.
The Senior Program Officer will be based out of True Colors United’s New York City office.
Salary is based on experience with a benefits package including medical, dental, vision, retirement and life insurance.
True Colors United is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people with lived experiences of homelessness, people of color, people of diverse gender and sexual identities, and women to apply.
To apply please submit a cover letter and resume with salary requirements to [email protected] In your cover letter, please highlight in particular why you would like to work at True Colors United.