Digital Communications Officer
Co-founded by Cyndi Lauper, True Colors United implements innovative solutions to youth homelessness by focusing on the unique experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth. Through an array of training & education, advocacy, technical assistance, and youth action programs, True Colors United is ensuring that every LGBTQ young person, wherever they live, is celebrated for being their authentic selves.
True Colors United is seeking a Digital Communications Officer who is eager to join a collaborative team at a fast-growing organization committed to social justice, racial and LGBTQ equity, and elevating the voices and leadership of people with lived experience of homelessness. We are looking to add a team member who will bring creativity and passion to telling the story of our organization and who is excited at the prospect of helping shape the narrative of youth homelessness and housing justice across the United States and beyond.
The Digital Communications Officer will work with the Senior Communications Officer and Public Policy & External Affairs Director, as well as members from the Program and Development teams, to connect with our audiences, and further our reach, and demonstrate the impact of True Colors United.
Reporting to the Public Policy & External Affairs Director, the Digital Communications Officer will:
- Develop visual and written content for distribution across multiple channels including social media posts, blogs, and email campaigns
- Coordinate editorial calendars for social media; create/cultivate “evergreen” content
- Direct creative consultants (graphic designers, web developers, etc.) and provide design support on bigger projects
- Build community on True Colors United social media channels through authentic audience engagement (two-way dialogue!)
- Collaborate with partners and coalitions on communications efforts relevant to True Colors United’s work (ex. Developing social media toolkits for partners to use on #TrueColorsDay; participating in partner org social media campaigns on intersecting issues)
- Manage communications channels (including social media, email marketing (Pardot))
- Use digital media analytics to drive communications decision-making (including Google Analytics, social media)
- Provide writing and editing support for programs
- Manage website content
- Manage Google Ads account/consultant
- 3-5 years professional experience in nonprofit, government, or political communications roles
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and LGBTQ+ equity, and ending youth homelessness
- Creativity and openness to expressing new ideas
- Unafraid to veer away from traditional nonprofit voice and tone
- Interest in cutting edge digital and social media trends
- Willingness to take risks
- Above average writing skills
- Graphic design experience
- Experience managing social media for brands and/or campaigns (paid and organic)
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) knowledge
- Content Management System (CMS) experience (ideally WordPress, BuddyPress, Gravity Forms)
- Self-starter, flexible and able to manage multiple tasks
- Effective interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in a team or independently as needed
- CRM (Customer Relationship Management) experience (ideally Salesforce), including integrations
- Press, PR savvy
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and/or InDesign)
- Video production and editing
- Google Ads experience
- Familiarity with audience segmentation, targeting, and lead generation
- Interest in politics and LGBTQ culture
- Interest in fundraising
This is not an entry level position. True Colors United is prepared to offer an attractive compensation package. In addition to a competitive base salary, we offer health insurance, retirement, life insurance, and vacation benefits. During the pandemic, this position will be remote. Post-pandemic, it will likely be based out of True Colors United’s Washington, D.C. office, with the possibility of working in our New York City office. Candidates outside of NY and DC are still encouraged to apply, as the organization is exploring the possibility of post-pandemic remote work.
True Colors United is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, women, and people with lived experiences of homelessness to apply. There is no degree requirement for this position.
Please submit to [email protected] a one page cover letter, resume, and portfolio of work that showcases the diverse skill set this position requires. In your cover letter, please highlight in particular why you would like to work at True Colors United.