Law & Policy
- Reduce opportunities for contact between youth experiencing homelessness and the criminal and juvenile justice systems by declassifying running away as a status or delinquent offense.
- Provide greater support to youth transitioning out of the juvenile justice system, including transition planning that specifically addresses housing needs, custody after discharge, and youth permanency.
- Allow youth to obtain state-issued identification cards without parental consent.
- Require training about sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, healthy sexual development, or issues specific to LGBTQ youth for staff working in runaway and homeless youth systems.
- Promote safe and inclusive environments in runaway and homeless youth programs by providing protections based on sexual orientation and gender identity.